Monday, May 10, 2010

Farewell to a Legend


Frank Frazetta passed away this morning, leaving a hole in the heart of an entire industry.


I wish that I could say I followed his career as closely as it deserved to be followed, but mine was always a peripheral appreciation. His art was a constant in my life, but I never took that time to learn about the man. I often find myself saying this when a beloved creator passes, and it's something I hope to fix in myself one day. I want to know what I've got before it's gone.


Frazetta was an icon, but like so many icons, the weight of his presence was easy to take for granted. Like the shadow of a building or the touch of a loved one, it was easy to think he'd always be there.


I'm glad that he received the recognition for his work that he so richly deserved, both from his peers and fans of the characters he helped to define. His legacy is one of inspiration, which is perhaps the greatest legacy anyone can leave behind. And wherever he is now, I hope he takes with him the pride of a job well done.

Enjoy your well-deserved rest, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment